WHY is it SO important for every marrying couple to CHECK exactly what a celebrant provides as part of their fee before booking that celebrant? It’s important because there are legal requirements for information and inclusions that every Celebrant throughout Australia MUST provide to every marrying couple. We celebrants are all different and so every celebrant may not include things that you would like to have in your ceremony.
Here’s a list of what is actually required BY LAW for a Marriage Celebrant to provide to their marrying couples under the Celebrant’s Code of Practice…..
- They must have a copy of this Code available to couples:
- Information to assist couples compose their marriage ceremony;
- Appropriate facilities to interview parties;
- Conduct a rehearsal if required
- Appropriate personal presentation for a marriage ceremony;
- Efforts to ensure ceremony is audible to all;
- Accuracy of documents and the ceremony;
- Arrive at venue by the appointed time;
- If a celebrant is to perform more than one ceremony on that day, arrive at least 20 minutes before allocated times and provide an expected level of service for each (ceremony);
- Ensure legal documents are completed and lodged appropriately;
- Accept evaluation comments from (married) couples;
- Give information to parties on how to lodge a complaint about the celebrant services if necessary;
- The commemorative marriage certificate on the wedding day;
- Provide information to the parties on range of relationship services nearby;
- It is then a celebrant’s OWN CHOICE if they wish to provide their couples with other information or services (ie table and chairs, music, copy of ceremony, wedding supplier information etc).
Have you been offered ALL of the above from the celebrant(s) you are considering for your marriage ceremony?